Formation R/T

Formation R/T

Postby Flyco » 11 Sep 2015, 15:17

I have put together the attached PDF covering the topic, primarily, of Formation R/T, although it inevitably infringes on formation SOPs. I would welcome you comments and amendments, before we consider issuing it.
I have tried to eliminate areas where different pilots do it differently, without being too dogmatic, but I do think it's a reasonable compromise framework.
After this first stage, I would like to produce a set of BASIC formation SOPs, aimed at the new member who has never flown before, let alone flown formation. Until we get a proper dual controlled trainer, we are always going to have to accept compromises in our formation, and a single basic tactical formation, with simplified procedures is going to be a first essential. These R/T procedures should allow the newby to know what R/T procedures to expect and when.
I flew an induction ride with a new member least week, and that brought home to me, how totally lost such a would-be flier is with formation (He even taxied into me after I lined up on the runway). We must get them involved in Squadron nights to keep them, but must not frighten them off by showing something that looks totaly beyond their capability (It's pretty much beyond mine in many situations).
Let me know what you think.
Incidentally, I've looked at Connor's U-Tube, and at least you can't see just what a clumsy attack I stumbled into last night - thank goodness!
Attachments
Formation RT.pdf
(304.13 KiB) Downloaded 135 times
Squadron Leader Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Re: Formation R/T

Postby David Lindau » 11 Sep 2015, 16:24

Looks good.

* Lead is going to have a hard time getting a visual on last AC in a four-ship when holding at runway threshold.
* I prefer percentage RPM on brakes call.
* One can state minutes and seconds on the hour for leads T/O. Makes it easy the rest of the flight to know when to roll, instead of counting to 20 e.t.c.
* Slight typo as you are fencing IN instead of OUT on RTB.
* You might want to separate ground / tower comm's and use 140.1 for ground and 140.2 for tower.
* Flight freq. push, call after clear complete confuses me?, need to stay on TWR or Ground until parked?

For % RPM setting as lead A/C it's useful to monitor last A/C ground-speed and comparing it to your own by hooking that AC on the SADL.

My 2 cent's
/D
David.
David Lindau

Postby Danny » 11 Sep 2015, 17:27

Hi Alan,

Looks really good, thanks.

I've done some premliminary work on this a while ago

http://www.rafairuk.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=690

But never got around to formalising anything and your doc finishes it off nicely.

Once I'm back to regular flying and have more time I can input frequencies into the missions so the radios have pre-set frequencies installed.

Not sure if your aware but, using Aries, we can encrypt UHF and FM.

I've attached the RAFAIR doc front page for you, trying to standardise our document set ;)
Attachments
Doc front page.docx
(70.1 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Danny

Postby Neil Willis » 26 Sep 2015, 07:06

Are both you David, and Alan happy with the Formation R/T sheet that Alan produced? I have just one comment. I was of the understanding that you should end your message with your callsign instead of using it to begin a call, so it is also used to indicate the end of your message. Is that how we want to handle it, or do you want to run with things as Alan shows?

When i have the answers from you, I shall incorporate the stuff in Alan's sheet into the main Voice procedures document, and we can make it policy.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImage
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Postby David Lindau » 26 Sep 2015, 09:05

Besides my notes above, I'm all good.
Might be good to add a line about establishing comm's?
HAWG ONE - PIG ONE - ON UNIFORM
PIG ONE - GO AHEAD/PASS MESSAGE/HOWDY/RECEIVING

TO - FROM - MESSAGE (on all initial contacts)
Acknowledgements.
Short version, simply your Call-sign e.i. HAWG.
Long version, Flight Level 70, HAWG.

/D
David.
David Lindau

Postby Neil Willis » 26 Sep 2015, 14:20

OK, I'll integrate that stuff, and then send it to you both for perusal before we go live with it.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImage
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Postby Flyco » 28 Sep 2015, 14:45

Neil,

Sorry, late picking up your latest input. I have amended the document to take on board inputs and have also revised it in other areas. To the extent that I have renamed it Formation Leading and R/T.

I have attached the updated version for you and David to look through.
Attachments
Formation RT.pdf
(310.26 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby David Lindau » 28 Sep 2015, 16:31

Very nice work Alan :!:

(Tiger Lead is still fencing in instead of out on the return.)
David.
David Lindau

Postby Flyco » 28 Sep 2015, 17:11

Thanks David. I just wanted to check that you did read it all.

Buggar it!
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Return to 141 Squadron Flight Training School