Not a problem, if you guys find any other issues please let me know
Flight Lieutenant Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Re: Operation Night Watchman

Postby Galm99 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:31 pm

New updated version on Dropbox.

Removed the triggers for the spawn zones to task the SAR as it was tasking the helicopters too early, so now it is a time since flag...or after 40mins from mission start.

I have also added a sound que for all written messages to help pilots that are head down in NVG's to be alerted of incoming messages, until I sort out voice messages at a later date that is.

I hope this is a step in the right direction.
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Postby Flyco » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:51 pm

I think the triggers in the Spawn Zone were the main problem - I don't recall them being in the original.

Other points to consider:

A couple of Manpads at the crash site might be an enhancement - just to keep people on their toes.

Similarly a Shilka with the 3 BMPs would make taking them out a bit more interesting. Also the 3 Hunter 1 vehicle are visible before activation - we spotted then and took them out before they were in play - which I think stopped the Mi-8s showing up.

I also flew the Huey manually, and as a result made a few adjustments to their route, which allowed them to genuinely valley fly at a fairly constant 300 ft. I will put those in if you wish.

It would also be helpful if the Hueys transmitted their position every 5-10 minutes, with reference to Panasauri and the LZ. It was very difficult to follow them from the air.

Finally, I found the pilots' walk to the Hueys a bit problematic - I have noticed before that sometimes walking troop s just take it into their heads to run around in circles. I'll try and see if they work OK tonight.

I still find many of the Mission editor commands a bit cryptic; they seem to change the way they work with every new iteration. Oh, for a decent manual!

I'll try and keep a note of any snags that arise tonight - although without access to my (non-virtual) kneepad on night sorties that may present problems. I found it easier to test it in daylight.
Squadron Leader Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby Galm99 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:19 pm

I do believe from what you told me last week that the spawn done triggers would he the issue, so I hope that is sorted now.

Anything you feel feel on the Huey side of things are welcomed, as I'm not too experienced on that side of things, so any miss to the mission you would like to do please feel free Alan!

I will add some manpads over the weekend for you, along with a shilka, obviously it's not idea that I cannot make the squadron nights for the time being, otherwise it would be much easier to rectify mission issues if I could see the problems first hand, but I'm trying my best with what we have, just means progress is a little slower on my part, sorry in advance all!

I will get to it, along with anything you guys pick up later on...once I get home Friday!

Enjoy all!
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Postby Flyco » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Flew Night Watchman last night, after a couple of minor amendments.

It actually all worked largely as planned. Unfortunately Boar did not overfly the pilot's position at all during the whole sortie, so the Hunters were never activated. However the Mi-8s were, and duly got shot up by Richard.

I will add a couple of waypoints to define a search area, which should trigger the surviving pilots' response.

I will also see if can identify why Hunters 1 was not activated. Since the Mi-8s arrived it should have been. Hunter 2 were never activated because Hunter 1 never got killed!

Richard took one of the Vaziani A010s and found that the weapons disappeared after start-up. That sounds like Mission corruption and should be cured by deleting those aircraft and re-instating them.

Finally, one of the Gazelles was destroyed shortly after take-of - I will try and find out why.
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby Neil Willis » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:01 am

It strikes me that the issue with the trigger for Boar is simply solved. Hopefully too, the corruption in Richard's aircraft can be sorted easily too. This looks like it could be another mission to add in to our growing library.

Perhaps we need to start and keep a consolidated list of available missions, with their status and different versions for different situations (i.e. Large group, Multiplayer respawning, and small group versions) where appropriate. Perhaps this also needs to be categorised by map too, thinking longer term.

We can then set up a rota for flying them so we all know well in advance which mission will be flown when.

All in all, with a lot of hard work put in by Alan and Matt, we are getting to the point where we have all the resources we'll need for operational flying. I will be getting back into the OCU series as soon as I can too, plus updating the SOPs, so we will have that fully structured, comprehensive program of training and standards that we are lacking right now.

Great progress though.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImage
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Postby Galm99 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:06 am

I feel I can easily rectify all the above issues over the weekend, I shall add a few "search area" type waypoints to ensure triggers are hit accordingly.

I am in the process of creating a few more missions As well as creating "light versions" for small groups. Obviously due yo my currant work commitments thus takes a little extra time as my head is really focused on CR2 techniques and gunnery :lol:

But all will fall in to place over the weekends, along with this I am in the process of creating the OCU template for the Mirage...which with growing modules could probably easily be adapted to further aircraft much as I would imagine Neil's is the same for the A10C.

I feel this gives us a great base of missions operationally and as a training type standpoint.

I think creating a base of available missions is a great idea so we can roster them to ensure good use of all (possibly best within the admin area initially and then post a roster thread with in the missions forum for all to see?)

Matt.
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Postby Flyco » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:59 am

I would certainly agree that a list of ready missions, with an outline and prepared briefs would be very useful. I have trawled through those we currently haver on the server and come up with this list that I recognise;

Bactria - Suitable for groups of 2-3 A-1os. - still one or two minor glitches to sort out, but nothing major. Good for 2-3 man training on quiet nights.
Badger's Strike - JTAC led A-10 mission - limited aircraft numbers - need someone as JTAC to run it, but perfectly useable.
Battle for Gori - Beta version - a large multi-ac mission - haven't flown it for a couple of years - will look it through.
Clay Pigeon - well tested, 4-8 A-10C mission
Khashuri Gap - useable for 4 A-10cs, but better with 6-8. has optional fighter involvement - just minor niggles to iron out as they become identified.
Night Watchmen - Just a few snags to sort out. Matt working on it.
Northern Clout - All significant bugs sorted - fully useable for up to 8 A-10s with optional fighter involvement.

In addition, there are 3 larger missions, that we haven't flown for a while which will need looking through for changes with 1.5.7 and beyond. These are:

Diligent Restraint
Tskhinvali Rumble
Vladikahnkaz Push

I suggest we could do with at least another 4, with at least 2 suitable for 2-4 aircraft.

At the moment this is all limited by changing DCS. Many Mission actions change with each update, and the current manual is well out of date. I suggest we trawl through the forum and try and identify missions that we could adopt, with or without modifications, and give them a once-over.
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby Galm99 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:13 pm

In reference to Badgers strike, there is already a variant that doesn't require the human ATC however the human element is preferred by all, but it adds a further variant to the list.

With those bigger missions you listed, I would be happy if you fancy splitting them down and working on proof checking them and tweaking where necessary, they may work fine however will require a check as to the progression of DCS in recent months.

Matt.
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Postby Flyco » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:17 pm

I have another 4-8 ac mission almost ready. Nothing too exotic, but it should be an enjoyable killing spree. Can also expand it to include at least one Huey driver, albeit this role is a bit boring.

Will try and test it over the weekend.
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Missions