Operation Hammerblow

Post All Your Missions Here

Operation Hammerblow

Postby Galm99 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:58 pm

A new mission I have been working on for sometime its around 90% complete so far, good for 2-4 A10C's, but has 2x Hot A10C's and 2x M2000C's if required.

Situation:
All Flights, Last night Gudauta was assaulted, and captured by an unknown Russian force. Our eyes on the ground are telling us, they’re in the process of repairing the airfields defences and will be operational within the hour.

Further to this, our recon units have spotted 2 Corvettes and a Frigate in the bay surrounding Gudauta roughly 2-3nm from the shoreline, these are equip with SAM's. The USS Carl Vinson has deployed three of its destroyers to deal with this threat and they should be in place by 09:00Z and will provide support once in place.

Marines will be mounting up in three chinooks from the USS Carl Vinson ready to reinforce the airfield once it has been cleared of enemy threats.

Blue Task:
We’re sending you in to take out the air defences before they can become operational. Expect heavy resistance, we’re getting word that a SA-15 has just become operational, and that SA-11’s are being deployed.

Primary objective is to destroy the SA-15, and eliminate the SA-11 site before it becomes active. We don’t have much time, you will need to coordinate a simultaneous strike against these targets. We were able to get semi-accurate coordinates for these installations and we have loaded them into your CDU’s and INS systems.

Once those installations are destroyed, you are cleared hot on all remaining targets at the airfield. Dreadnaught will be on hand to assist in eliminating and re-capturing the airfield. within their packet with be JTAC Axeman 1 on 33.00FM to help spot targets for your strike. You must ensure Dreadnaught succeeds, do not allow their unit to be destroyed.

Once your primary objectives have been destroyed a flight of two Tornado GR4's (Callsign Buster) will conduct a strike on the airfield.

Frequencies:

Kobuleti Airbase- 133.000Mhz AM - Tacan 67X – ILS 111.50Mhz - QNH 29.92

Friendly KC135 Tanker "Texaco" - 252.000Mhz - 125X Tacan

JTAC Axeman 1 - 33.00FM once Dreadnaught move towards the target location.

USS Carl Vinson - 27nm South of Gudauta

Documents Required

Operation Hammerblow Brief.pdf
(339.67 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

Hammerblow Briefing Card.pdf
(364.36 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

Gudauta Strike Map PDF.pdf
(123.84 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Flight Lieutenant Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Re: Operation Hammerblow

Postby Galm99 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:14 pm

Today's progress, a lot of mission testing in both airframe, looking like it will take 4 A10C around 1 hour 30 to 2 hours, but a little more testing prior to squadron operations I think, I wish to get this a lot more bug free then Night watchman originally was if all goes well.

Updates:

Updated brief.
Added briefing card.
Added US ships to engage the RU frigates to have them destroyed by 0900Z.
Chinook helicopters will carry marines to the airbase on mission completion.
Refined the GR4 waypoints to actually make them engage.
US destroyers will stay on location and provide fire around the airbase.
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Postby Galm99 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:10 pm

I have just ran through this mission as a lone wolf, starting from within 30nm of Gudauta in an airbourne A10C, going after only the priority targets with extra CBU's to quicken engagements to achieve trigger activation and it lasted around 1 hour 15mins. I believe it should last well in to the 1:30min / 2hr mark with the mission starting as expected.....from the ground. obviously you will be able to coordinate your strikes with other aircraft to shorten it slightly, but on the flip side you can go after more targets than I did. this should be a good little mission for fewer numbers ideally 2-4 aircraft.
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Postby Neil Willis » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks Matt, we'll let you know how it goes tonight.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImage
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Postby dragon13 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Will be there tonight.
Flight Lieutenant Paul "Dragon" Ratcliffe RAF Air UK
Image Image Image
dragon13
Site Admin

Postby Galm99 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:58 pm

No problem Neil, let me know how it How's, it'll be the first run through with multiple aircraft, fingers crossed it all goes well!
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Postby Neil Willis » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:57 am

The mission went well last night. The only issues I encountered were insufficient airframes - we need 2 flights - the tanker wasn't functioning properly (corrected on the version on dropbox so can you use that for subsequent updates?) and the tool tips issue reared it's ugly head despite it being correct in the mission file. That is clearly a bug.

But those small issues aside, an excellent addition. Thanks Matt.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImage
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Postby Galm99 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:15 am

Not a problem Neil, I will set out to sort those this weekend using the Dropbox file.

Quick question, with two flight do you feel the mission would be too short? As this is why I kept it small, on the flip side I could create another piece of the mission to make it longer.

What are your thoughts?

Matt.
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Postby Flyco » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:03 am

A sound mission but a bit short. I suspect some of the elements never operated.

Although there are a good few points, they did not detract from a pleasant evening - albeit a bit easy - but then we were very good. I have listed my main observations below.

The weapon load out had rockets rather than the AGM-65s. The rockets couldn't be used, whereas the mavericks could have been. There was also a view that an extra CBU in place of one of the GBUs would have been useful, although I am not so sure.

The Russian ships were a non-event. They did not appear to pose any real threat to the A-10s, and we had no information about their SAM capabilities. However, they did give us cause for thought and restricted our freedom of movement. I don't know, but I would have expected a frigate to be a bit more lethal out to 10-15 nm and up to 30-40k.

We were confused by the 'Dreadnought Battlegroup'; we spent a lot of time looking for tanks etc, whereas we finally assumed it was a naval force. I am still not sure whether this was the Carl Vinson group or not.

There was nothing heard from JTAC, nor any options on the comms menu on the published frequency.

The brief gave us freedom to engage anything on the airfield, but we were concerned at hitting the incoming troops and helicopters. As it was, the only thing we felt confident at hitting were the taxying Migs that Ade spotted, but which some rascally helicopters got to before we could even try.

I think it would benefit from a Russian reinforcing troop coming in from the North, or possibly some small boats coming down the coast. That would also allow a longer playing time and more aircraft.

Finally, Neil got a totally free ride, swanning about at 37,000 ft without any opposition while we 'mud-movers' were laying our (virtual) lives on the line, down in the weeds. Totally unfair!
Squadron Leader Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby Galm99 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:58 am

I will rework the trigger a little, dreadnaught are a armoured battlegroup that move in from the east, however they are very hard to spot, I will create some messages that will send thier position periodically so you guys know their location.

The Russian ships get engaged by allied ships after around 15minutes, but I will change this to make them a threat for longer... probably starting the allied ships further away to make them travel further to engage them.

Some reinforcements will be very easy to provide, I shall create this today.

And loadouts will be changed today, I must have not edited them back (I use a bountiful loadouts to make testing easier)

Will edit this today, glad you guys enjoyed it though.
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Next

Return to Missions