The Way Forwards

Anything pilot related can be discussed here

The Way Forwards

Postby Neil Willis » 10 Feb 2019, 09:35

There have been a few developments recently that make it necessary to discuss how we handle RAF Air going forwards.

The following issues have been raised:

1. How many organized flying sessions should be using the server.

2. Training, and levels of competence.

3. SOPs and who compiles them.

4. The command structure for squadrons and higher formations. Do we need section commands for less well-used modules?

5. Dedicated server, Teamspeak and SRS.

To discuss those matters, I propose we hold a meeting to which we should invite current and potential committee members. This meeting should be held at a time when most stakeholders are available. Time and place to be discussed prior to Tuesday's sortie.

Any additional agenda items should be raised before the meeting.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImage
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Re: The Way Forwards

Postby Galm99 » 10 Feb 2019, 09:42

Sounds good Neil, hopefully can be held within the next week or sadly I will be a no show down to deployment.
Wing Commander Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Postby Neil Willis » 10 Feb 2019, 09:44

That's one of the reasons I feel we need it to happen soon. As always, your input is essential Matt. I am thinking we may have to hold it on Thursday night to avoid clashing with the busier server sessions.
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Postby Galm99 » 10 Feb 2019, 09:47

Not a problem Neil, I was abroad for the last one therefore would ideally like to make this one, but if it's too inconvenient for the remainder then better to have the majority.
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Postby Neil Willis » 10 Feb 2019, 09:59

Hopefully, we'll make it happen when you're available. Failing that, you could give me your thoughts so I can include them at the meeting if you can't make it?
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Postby Galm99 » 10 Feb 2019, 10:15

Of course Neil.
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Postby Lau » 10 Feb 2019, 11:11

Neil, thank you for raising the above points, I also welcome this initiative. Feel free to suggest any day and time of convenience to everyone since flight operations can simply be postponed.
STUDENT PILOT Laurent Noel - RAF AIR UK
Lau

Postby Flyco » 11 Feb 2019, 14:05

I will outline my initial thoughts in response to Neil's questions at Post 1.

Dealing first with training and command structure combined. I believe that we do need a structured training scheme It should be run by a Training Team who will cover introduction to the Sqn and bringing new members up to speed so that they can fly on a normal Sqn Evening without becoming lost and dispirited, or spoiling other members enjoyment. For experienced DCS'ers this could be a simple 30 min intro to TeamSpeak, SRS, the Server and elementary SOPs (Standard operating procedures). For others it could extend to 3 or 4 sorties, or more - no-one will 'fail'. Once flying with the rest of the squadron, a training team for each different aircraft will develop members as they wish - again no pressure to become an 'ace' - it is for enjoyment.

This must be under-pinned by Standard Procedures. I have attached a draft set of SOPs for the F/A-18 that I have been working on. I hope they are clear and relatively concise - I do not like referring members to 800 page NATOPS manuals. We already have SOPs for the A-10c (how many have read them?). I will start shortly on putting them into the same format as the attached F/A-18's.

I am also working on a Command structure, which gives clear guidance on who controls how different ac are operated. It outlines a promotion structure based on time and experience for promotion from Plt Off to Flt Lt, and on executive roles beyond that. There will also be a parallel Combat Readiness rating, from Limited Combat Ready (Can deliver some weapons adequately) to Combat Ready (Select) (can do - and teach - everything within the aircraft's capability.

Finally, we need to control the Server more closely. We must encourage members to write good, multi-player, multi-aircraft missions for our Squadron Evenings, and a range of generic Training Scenarios for use by members at other times.

Again, I have attached my outline RAF Air UK structure, for your information. This is all my idea, and it has no official standing at present - any brick-bats should be addressed to me (as should any cash rewards obviously!). Please, let me have your views - warts and all. However, all I would ask is that if you don't like something tell me why and how you would like to see it changed.

Sorry to have taken up so much of your time.
Attachments
Carrier SOPs TO & Departure AL1.pdf
(1010.39 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Carrier SOPs - Recovery and Landing.pdf
(955.85 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Proposed Structure of RAF(Air)UK.pdf
(411.85 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby Griffin » 11 Feb 2019, 15:56

oohhhh Alan has my vote for the above
Pilot Officer Richard "Mutley" Keast RAF AIR UK
Image Image

Mutley Do Something!Image
Griffin

Postby Neil Willis » 11 Feb 2019, 17:36

Thanks Alan, great contribution, as always.
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Pilot Chat