Post mission Debriefs

Anything pilot related can be discussed here

Post mission Debriefs

Postby maggsy » 08 Aug 2018, 11:17

I wonder if conducting post mission debriefs would have some benefits ?
We fly these missions every week and they are a something we all look forward too, the mission designer has spent a lot of time and effort creating a challenging and hopefully enjoyable scenario for us to test our metal against, they are a fantastic way to see if all the training and practice we have done actually works, it is also the only way to see if we need to improve, both as individual pilots but even more as a cohesive team, what better way to respect the author than to ensure we appraise the results afterwards in the most productive manner to help us all prepare for the next sortie.

Obviously doing this verbally for each pilot over TS would take far too long and my experience in any TS/Discord based meeting can be "difficult" to mange effectively. However if we each post a mission report on the forum, analyzing the mission from our personal perspective,
self-assessment of our individual performances, where we thought we did well and where we as individual pilots felt we needed to improve.
Covering this an overall report from the flight leader/leaders outlining how effective they felt the wings were in executing the plan, along with any individual recommendations.

As long as these are not used to air personal disappointments in another pilots performance and any comments or opinions are directed at helping us improve not only as individual pilots but more importantly as a team then I can only see it helping us to improve.
Pilot Officer Steve Maggs - RAFAir UK
maggsy

Re: Post mission Debriefs

Postby Griffin » 08 Aug 2018, 12:00

This would mean myself beig in the Dog house every week HEEHEHE :D :? :o :D
Pilot Officer Richard "Mutley" Keast RAF AIR UK
Image Image

Mutley Do Something!Image
Griffin

Postby Flyco » 08 Aug 2018, 15:59

Muttley, I am reluctant to raise this, but it is for your own good that I must make the point that Muttley is a DOG, and therefore should be used to being in a doghouse.

Now - Go catch that pigeon. Bow wow!

As for a debrief, I do think it would be good idea. Unfortunately, a forum debrief runs the risks of developing into a troll-like sniping session, even with the use of those awful 'smileys'. It is not like a squabble face-to-face in a crew-room over a coffee and nutty-bar, or even in the bar over a beer. Even via team-speak it is easy to put the wrong interpretation on comments without the visual feedback.

Most of you will know that my hide is like a rhinoceros, and in any case I know that no-one could be criticising me - that would be ridiculous! However, I am also aware that I can be a bit harsh in my comments.

What do others think?
Squadron Leader Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby Neil Willis » 08 Aug 2018, 16:42

I think debriefs would be useful, but as already said, it'd be very easy to fall into something less friendly if people chose to go down that route. With an umpire we should be good to go though.

I'm happy to take stuff on the chin too.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImage
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Postby maggsy » 08 Aug 2018, 19:58

I fully understand Alan's concerns in fact I had mulled over the potential pitfalls and collateral damage before I even decided to post the thread.

However I took a long hard look at the overall level of professionalism you all are trying to cultivate, and am confident that everyone is capable of looking at performance objectively and any observations would be confined to purely operational aspects and we can be trusted not to air our laundry in public, if something needs to addressed of a more serious nature then this must be done in private as I am sure it is already done this way. In any case these debriefs have to be strictly mission performance related and not include comments that do not contribute to operational improvement.

I expect any Debrief from all parties involved to be used in a constructive manner so with the discipline we already are expected to exhibit observations and reports would be confined to relevant performance and mission goal based topics.

I suppose I am eager not only to take part but to learn and improve each and every time I am involved in a mission, I accept that this will include some constructive critique but I am confident that the person offering their comments has the same desire to see me improve as much as I do thus the team becomes stronger.

I also recognize Rank and hierarchy as a positive in any community group such as this, I also do not believe in authority by consensus or committee, Leaders, in taking responsibility also get to call the shots. I am willing to accept any critique as long as it is matched by the help to improve, I do not believe for one minute that this would not be the case. I suppose it all boils down to respect and trust.

I would suggest that the last person to post his debrief should be the mission commander that way he gets chance to see events through his troops eyes via their reports and this way his report can encompass relevant aspects gleaned from the whole operation.

Good Leaders do so by example and I have only met good leaders here...

got a bit rambling there but it covers the points ...
Pilot Officer Steve Maggs - RAFAir UK
maggsy

Postby Paul Gillon » 09 Aug 2018, 09:31

I fully support the use of a debriefing and AAR to aid in the learning curve.

On our Sunday night sorties it's very rare that we don't take the time to review TacView as a flight. This debrief is an open conversation where we make comments on our own performance and that of the other flight members with aim of identifying any errors and opportunities for improvement for the flight as a whole.

I'd say that the TacView session is far more powerful tool than just a written AAR - the combination of both is probably the key to greater/quicker development.
Flight Lieutenant Paul Gillon -RAFAir UK

Paul Gillon
Site Admin

Postby Neil Willis » 11 Aug 2018, 07:12

Here's me wondering what air to air refuelling has to do with after action reporting!

We shouldn't use the same abbreviation for both.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImage
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Postby Flyco » 11 Aug 2018, 07:22

Thanks Neil, I was also confused. But then I frequently am, so I didn't want to say anything.

Come on, Paul, what does AAR stand for? The public deserve to know.
Squadron Leader Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby dragon13 » 11 Aug 2018, 07:43

Hi everyone, AAR, After Action Report
or Air to Air Refuelling.

This message all the way from Newquay, Cornwall. So still in touch, just can't fly.
Flight Lieutenant Paul "Dragon" Ratcliffe RAF Air UK
Image Image Image
dragon13
Site Admin

Postby Griffin » 11 Aug 2018, 08:03

dragon13 wrote:Hi everyone, AAR, After Action Report
or Air to Air Refuelling.

This message all the way from Newquay, Cornwall. So still in touch, just can't fly.

You passed the passport check then :D :D :D
Pilot Officer Richard "Mutley" Keast RAF AIR UK
Image Image

Mutley Do Something!Image
Griffin

Next

Return to General Pilot Chat