Generic Server Mission

Anything pilot related can be discussed here

Generic Server Mission

Postby Galm99 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Good evening all,

I come with a simple question, what do you want as the generic server mission for non-operations, I am aware that the currant mission is not without its issues and is quite huge in its indertaking to edit. So my question is do you like the currant format of would you prefer something else?

Having spoke to a few if you I am getting mixed opinions to weather we scrap the currant mission or just edit to where we desire.

Currant suggestions I have been given include:
* More Helicopter playability

* A new closer range (which has already been implemented on my machine just not server-side yet)*

* Moving the IP locations closer to avoid long flight distances

* A persistent battle scenario, meaning north of the border is all EN territory and I am working on target briefs and packs for this type of generic scenario (all ready mostly implemented on my machine)

Obviously this mission is not perfect, and has had a heavy quantity of hours put in by myself to make it what it is at the moment, but I want to know what you guys would prefer, we can easily start a fresh if it is the general consensus.

Please all criticism welcome!

Matt.
Flight Lieutenant Matt Purnell - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Re: Generic Server Mission

Postby Flyco » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:03 am

Matt, I think we should look at having 2 separate generic missions. One for members, which can be restricted to just the sought after aircraft, and a larger one for general play.

The general one, is useful (I would hope) for publicity for our group and thereby attracting new members. We might want to see if we can include some way of actually advertising membership in it.

The second, could be used for the regular, and any pre-announced, group activities, and should. ideally be password protected. I suggest that it is the latter for which we should be seeking members wishes. I suspect that at least 90% of our members regularly use no more that 6 or 7 of the various aircraft.

For my part, I would be content with the main Hs i.e. the Hog, the Hornet, the Harrier and the Huey, but would also like to see, for example, the Spitfire, the Gazelle, the new Yak, and the Sabre available.

Of equal importance is to see if we can set up an auto re-load system, with a 10 or 20 minute warning. I am not sure if such an application is available. At the moment, when I am on-line, I try to take a look at the server and if there is no-one using it, I re-load it so as to renew all the shot up targets etc.

You will see that I have started trying to set up a limited-numbers mission, which we can use on a training night when there are’t enough to run one of our standard misssions. My aim is to include the more popular aircraft, but with the ability to expand the task according to the number joining.

I think you are right to try and get some member’s inputs, and I would urge everyone to respond. Not by giving a list of all available aircraft, but to be selective and limit themselves to 3 or 4, and to include what sort of tasks they would want to see. For my part I want AAR, formation, relatively incompetent A2A targets and various ground targets. With these I can join for an hour or so and practice the skills in which I am wanting, either singly, or with one or two other members.

Good luck, and let me know if you need any help. I find it is often useful if there is a second person to help try out missions during early testing.
Squadron Leader Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby Roon » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:24 pm

If a rewrite was on the cards, I would suggest using different bases for different aircraft, ie a heli base with missions around it's local area, a WW2 base, fifties base and a modern base. If they are far enough apart it will prevent cross-purpose mishaps (I recently got shot down when heading to the carrier after accidentally triggering some A2A assets.
Transit times could be reduced and a variety of training scenarios could be developed gradually for each discipline.
Having said that, I am mindful of the work involved in such a project and would be more than happy to take a few lessons in using the editor in order that I could assist in this task to spread the load. Always happy to help with testing but that always strikes me as the easy bit!! Happy to help but need instruction!!
Sometimes stuff is supposed to fall off....sometimes not.
I still can't be sure which... :?

Flight Lieutenant Ade Rhoney - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image
Roon
Site Admin

Postby Galm99 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:44 am

Good morning all,

I've had a little play around and think about this subject, where I currant am I believe the best way to address this and cater for all is to redesign this mission and get rid if the IP locations in favour of persistent target locations (be that airfields, refinery, industrial locations or the works) having all forces respawn after a set period of time to ensure they are always readily available.

By doing this I remove 75% of the triggers therefore making the mission "less buggy" and less likely to be broken by DCS updates.

I will create a simple range of armour at the disused airfield south of kobuleti for weapons practice, helicopters will have a seperate set of targets for either recce or ground attack closer to their initial FARP locations.

I will have enemy aircraft flying patrols along the Russian border set to "return fire" only therefore they will only fight if engaged by allied forces.

I will create a PDF with all target locations and descriptions along with suggested ingress/egress routes (however due to the amount of waypoint allowed in certain airframe it will be for the pilots to plot this routes and targets within their CDU).

Carriers and tankers will remain unchanged, the Russian border will be protected by an AD network so any deep strike missions would require you to get passed the AD, either under through the canyons (Ade) or at high altitude.

Targets will be located north and south of the border for difficulty.

Initially aircraft will be limited to A10C, F/A-18C,AV8B,Huey and Gazelle (speak now for aditional) but more can be added once the mission is all finished and well tested.

Can I get some opinions on this idea?

Thanks all
Matt.
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Postby Flyco » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:23 am

Matt can I suggest the inclusion of an OCU task to the south out of Vaziani. It is well out of the way, but gives scope for basic A-10 ( or even F-18 or Harrier) sorties. I regularly use my own version of such a mission for teaching basic A-10 tactics and weapons, with new members.

It is simply a 4-ship (but can be flown as one or two 2-ships), with half a dozen tanks and BTRs, a Tunguska, a Shilka, a Strela, and a dozen soft skins. Then I can demonstrate target identification, and selection of weapons. The soft skins are very useful for rocket and gun attacks. I include a 30 min run-in to allow talking about basic formation keeping, navigation, fencing in and weapons selection, and a 20min RTB.

I can either give you the details or, if it is easier, I can add them to the mission at some stage convenient to you.
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby Galm99 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:26 am

That's not a problem, I will get the mission working to a good state and let you add the aspect if that's okay? Just so you can add exactly what you require for an OCU element.
ImageImageImageImage
Galm99
Site Admin

Postby Flyco » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Wilco.
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby Flyco » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:07 pm

In view of the plea elsewhere for a helicopter mission, I can also add a 4 chopper (2 Huey and 2 Gazelles), Mission if you want.

It starts from a FARP, does a 50min mapreading run through valleys (including crossing 2 ridges at 7000 ft plus) to pick up some SAS, and then another run back to a second FARP. There are options for various ‘ambushes’ by searching troops en route, hence the need for the Gazelles. I often Fly it solo as a Huey refresher, and it always leaves me hyped up even without any opposition.
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Return to General Pilot Chat