Alreet All

Introduce yourself to the RAF Air UK members

Alreet All

Postby Geordie4Ever » 12 Jun 2019, 18:37

Alreet bonny lads and lasses, greetings from not so sunny Elgin.

22 years as a regular airman now I am into year 6 as an FTRS bod on a RAF Regt Aux Sqn (2622(Highland) Sqn) up here at Lossiemouth. Some of the best RAF Fighters are on the ground ;)

I am going to be totally honest with you, although I have used the likes of FSX and FSW as well as some golden oldies like Falcon 4.0, I know very little about airmanship. When I got DCS on steam I was blown away and if I must admit it, overwhelmed by the realism. I honestly thought if I could crack this, I could actually get a real Hog or Eagle started up and get it airborne.

I am a total noob at this level however, I have bought combined arms, AV8, A10-C, Blackshark, Huey and now I am the proud owner of a brand-new F14-B. With the Spitfire and F/A-18 on my wishlist. Added to this I have the Nevada map and several of the A10-C missions and qualification add-ons. Hopefully this is an indication of how serious I am at wanting to improve my flying and learn all the intricacies of flying a combat aircraft. One thing I have learned is that you cannot learn to fly each airframe all in one go. I tried this and I failed miserably. I have decided to shut down all but the A10-C and the Tomcat until I can be proficient at these.

All I ask is please have a little patience with me as I am still overwhelmed by how accurate this is and still very much learning the ropes (There is a reason they gave me a gun instead of a grow-bag lol). Looking forward to getting airborne with you guys and hopefully not crash and burn too many times.

Graeme "Shrek" Bond
Geordie4Ever

Re: Alreet All

Postby Richard Rodgers » 12 Jun 2019, 19:18

Welcome Graeme. Don't worry about your level of flight experience. So long as someone is willing to learn, they will get on just fine with us.

We have group nights on Tuesday & Thursday and training can be done at any other times tgat you care to arrange with one of our instructors.

Catch you online soon.
Air Commodore Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image
Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Bonver12 » 12 Jun 2019, 19:25

Hi, welcome aboard. You have landed with the right Squadron. The amount of knowledge and experience some of the pilot's have is outstanding. They are a very supporting bunch, and will unselfishly pass on their support and encouragement.
I speak from personal experience.
I used to know Elgin well. I have spent many nights at Lossie. I used to be a nav on Buccs.
Fly safe. Hope we meet up on our server soon.

0309 Geoff.
Pilot Officer Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImage
Bonver12

Postby pikemanmark » 12 Jun 2019, 19:53

Hi

Welcome to the squadron. I fly A10-C and love it the guys here are fantastic and have loads of knowledge. make sure you get the radios and comms sorted. it can be tricky but its worth it Look forward to seeing you on the flight line

Mark
Pilot Officer Mark Howard - RAFAir UK
Image Image
pikemanmark

Postby Flyco » 13 Jun 2019, 07:11

Welcome aboard Shrek. You have made a sensible decision in choosing to concentrate initially on one aircraft, and the A-10 is probably the best. We do fly most of the aircraft you mention, but I would recommend the A-10 because it is probably the easiest to actually handle, but has enough complexity and capability to keep anyone learning for a several years. It was my first DCS aircraft and is still my favourite - if only because, as time passes, it is the only one I have a chance of staying up with.

Book an introductory training flight on the Training Flight Booking thread in this Forum, giving times and dates when you can be available - Thursday evenings is a good time, since that is usually a training night. As mentioned earlier, you will need to get set up on TeamSpeak and SRS first, but that should only take 10-20 minutes. I suggest you download them both before booking a slot.

Look forward to seeing you on my wing.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby Neil Willis » 13 Jun 2019, 08:07

Hi Graeme, welcome aboard. Always good to expand the ranks of the Squadron, and also always good to have some more expert knowledge from a vet too.

I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Neil
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImage
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Postby dragon13 » 13 Jun 2019, 09:01

Hi Graeme, welcome to the squadron, You will find the guy's here most helpful and knowledgeable, if there is anything you need know about, just ask, someone here will be able to help you out.

See you about.
Wing Commander Paul "Dragon" Ratcliffe - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image
dragon13
Site Admin

Postby Gaspode » 15 Jun 2019, 14:07

welcome fella, if you need any help with the cat, il do my best
Pilot Officer John Burton RAF Air UK
Image Image
Gaspode

Postby Roon » 15 Jun 2019, 18:04

Welcome Graeme, was at Lossie myself '93 - '99 on 16(R). Top choice of group and aircraft, Flyco and Paul 43 will have you sharing SPI's and buddy-lasing before you know it! Look forward to seeing you on the server.
Sometimes stuff is supposed to fall off....sometimes not.
I still can't be sure which... :?

Wing Commander Ade Rhoney - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image
Roon
Site Admin

Return to Introduce Yourself