Tuesday 16th July 2019

Details Of Online Flight Nights

Tuesday 16th July 2019

Postby Neil Willis » 12 Jul 2019, 07:51

Tonight's mission will be the latest iteration of the Op Deep Valley mission with updated roles for the F/A-18C.

Pre-flight briefing - 19:30 hrs Alpha.

Take off - 20:00 hrs Alpha.
Group Captain Neil Willis - RAF Air UK
ImageImageImageImageImage
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 16th July 2019

Postby Flyco » 16 Jul 2019, 14:50

The new iteration of Op Deep Valley is (probably) ready for use!

I will upload it to the Server as Op Deep Valley V2.3b.

It is still not fully tested and the briefing is limited (a copy of a brief for the new elements is attached). There is also no direct interaction between the new flight of (2-4 F-18s) and the rest of the flights, except that the success of the new element will reduce the number of incoming red fighters. Basically, they are mounting an attack on the Mig-21s airfield, with a view to stopping them getting airborne.

I would recommend keeping at least 2-3 F-14s, and 4 or more A-10s. The F-18s should probably be split equally between Enfield 1 (with their original task of taking out the air defences in the valley) and the new Enfield 2 Flight who will be attacking Mozdok airfield to stop the Mig-21s getting airborne.

I will leave the decision whether we should give it an early canter, or stick to the proven version, until we can get a feel for numbers and preferences this evening. However, anyone who does want to fly in the new element should read the attached brief, and be capable of inputting PP targeting details to the JSOWs.

Longer term I will produce a route map and an attack area plan to cover the new element.
Attachments
Brief for Enfield 2.pdf
(219.52 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby Flyco » 16 Jul 2019, 20:42

Thanks for flying the revised sortie tonight guys. Lots of bits and pieces to sort out, but nothing major that I saw.

Well done to Simon, who managed to stick to me during the low-level. Incidentally that was a missile with your name on it, which the Tunguska fired when you got too close and too low. Luckily my JSOW took out the guiding vehicle about 1 sec before its missile was about to hit you - you can buy me a beer later! In fact, 2 beers, including the one you earned for running out of fuel while taxying in.

Does anyone have any comments or suggestions about the mission?
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby dragon13 » 17 Jul 2019, 04:01

Hi Alan, Seemed to work very well, but the JTAC Finger 1, stopped responding to my calls after having destroyed 2 AD units he guided me onto, had 2 switch to the MK1 eyeball to find remaining targets.
Wing Commander Paul "Dragon" Ratcliffe - RAF Air UK

dragon13
Site Admin

Postby Flyco » 17 Jul 2019, 09:36

Thanks, Paul. I have seen a number of complaints on the Forum about JTACs going wrong. It seems to be when there are multiple targets and/or users. I have found that when flying as a singleton, during testing, it works quite well (apart from being laborious), but it doesn’t last long on multi-player, before going garbled and eventually silent.

I will look at what CTLD has to offer, in the way of alternative JTAC facilities. I have used it in the past and it worked quite well. It certainly has a lot of supporters.

Once again I went straight through the runway on landing last night, but at least the game didn’t throw me off. As I sank through the tarmac, I put on full power and went round again. Did that three time before letting it sink into oblivion and exiting. On TacView, you can clearly see my ac disappearing into the runway. These problems, again, seem to be confined to multi-player.

I might try using the Stable version next time, while they are still the same. Just to confirm it isn’t a fault in my game set-up, although I have repaired it a couple of times.
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby Neil Willis » 17 Jul 2019, 10:27

Our flight encountered issues too. First, was one of us being completely unable to join and stay on the server. A few minutes at most before being booted off. Second, when joining, getting a very wide-angle view of the world. This happened to two pilots initially, and twice to one of us. After 2 restarts it cleared, however.

I suspect the server was the issue, as other servers could be joined perfectly OK without issues. I suspect some of the other niggles were also down to our server being a little flaky at the time. Perhaps a clean start prior to all missions might be a good housekeeping chore that could eliminate some problems?
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Postby Flyco » 17 Jul 2019, 10:57

I notice that the Server is not working at present. I checked earlier and it was not on line. I therefore looked at it and confirmed that it appeared to be running via Vnc, and that someone had reset it to the Caucasus Generic. I shut the mission down and restarted DCS, with the same negative result. I notice someone else cam on shortly afterwards and again restarted, but it still isn't showing.

it might be that the computer needs to be re-booted, but I am not sure how, or even whether it is possible, to do this remotely.
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby Neil Willis » 17 Jul 2019, 12:35

It may be the latest update that has screwed with it.

I shall try the reboot now.
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Postby Neil Willis » 17 Jul 2019, 12:45

Reboot failed to resurrect it, so I am reverting it back to the previously known working version. Contact, wait out!
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Postby Neil Willis » 17 Jul 2019, 12:49

Even that failed, so now I am at a complete loss. The SRS server-side works fine. Any experts out there care to take charge and try and fix it?
Neil Willis
Site Admin

Next

Return to Squadron Flights