Tossing Dumb Bombs

Tossing Dumb Bombs

Postby Flyco » 14 Jul 2019, 15:18

I have been looking at a profile for tossing dumb bombs (Mk 82s) from low level approach. The aim is to stay out of AAA and AFV Cannon fire, i.e. at least 2 nm range. I am not sure whether there is any recommended profile for this, but these are my results.

Approach at 400 - 500 ft agl, at 420 kias, in Auto mode, with the target selected. At around 10-15 nm range, set full military power. At 5-6 nm, pull smoothly into a climb of around 30-35 degrees, and steer the VVM down the bomb fall line. With about 5 secs to release, hold down the Pickle as normal. The bomb(s) will come off at around 3 nm range and 6000ft - immediately roll away, aiming to get the nose 20-30 degrees below the horizon and at least 90 degrees off the run-in line. (If there are SAMs at the target area, push out chaff and maintain 90 degrees to the incoming SAM direction). Recover to a safe height and heading.

Using this technique, I have found that the CEP is around 50 ft. Not startling, but dropping multiple bombs, in pairs, with a 20 ft interval is a good way of hitting a compact group at a pre-known location. One thing that I have noticed is that the bombs consistently go long by an average of around 50 -100 ft, with a steeper toss angle giving a slightly shorter overshoot. If possible it might be worth using an aiming point 60-70 ft short of the required MPI.

I would be grateful if anyone has any thoughts on this, or alternative profiles.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Return to F/A-18C Hornet