Discord Server.

Anything pilot related can be discussed here

Discord Server.

Postby jester224 » 14 Aug 2019, 14:20

Once again the Tuesday night operation was disrupted by a coms outage with TeamSpeak. I do remember vaguely in my mind some discussion about Discord at some point. I have Discord and use it with other games maybe it is a more robust solution than TeamSpeak? Does anyone have any thoughts? My server is 600 Squadron but I can look up creating an RAF Air Server for us as it is free I think.
jester224

Re: Discord Server.

Postby Bonver12 » 14 Aug 2019, 17:10

Below is what I posted a few hours ago on the dedicated server section:..............

Regarding Teamspeak, I used it when I was using Elite Dangerous. Every time the RafAiruk Teamspeak fails, I jump on the ED teamspeak to check my installation. ED works every time, which makes me think its the server we use for teamspeak that fails. ED Teamspeak is working now.

I don't fully understand all this hosting, but there are numerous VOIP servers available.

Maybe we need a dedicated RafAirUK server on the teamspeak installation. Downside is that would mean a monthly charge

The above was in response to Paul, who also mentioned his "Discord". I believe we need a VOIP system that's available 24/7.
Pilot Officer Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImage
Bonver12

Postby jester224 » 14 Aug 2019, 18:04

A discord server is always up without cost. Here is a link to the Discord server until we can get a teamspeak server back up
https://discord.gg/FngDXB
jester224

Postby Bonver12 » 16 Aug 2019, 07:17

Jester, I used Discord last night. You asked does anyone have any thoughts, so here are a few comments:-
1. Free. Can put up with the adverts.
2. Clear audio.
3. Reliable, cloud based system.
4. Always live, operating in the background.

Thanks for setting up the dedicated server. I'm only a junior officer, and new to the squadron, but Discord would get my vote over Teamspeak.
Pilot Officer Geoff Mansfield RAF Air UK
ImageImage
Bonver12

Postby Richard Rodgers » 16 Aug 2019, 07:57

Guys,

Sorry you have had issues with the server.

I got back from St Andrews midnight last night and saw Alan's PM and this thread.

The TS3 server is running on a 24/7 Windows 10 PC that I have at work. It looks like a W10 update has buggered it up this time.

I have remotely kicked it and got it working.

The reason we went to using this was that we were using a commercially hosted TS3 server and the hopst company ceased offering just TS3 servers, but it came bundled if you rented a game server. I was paying £8 per month for the TS3 server, but the bundled price was £45, so that really was a non starter.

Never used Discord so can not comment on it. It may well be the way to go so long as it will allow us different room options. I will take a look.
Air Commodore Richard Rodgers - RAF Air UK
Image Image Image Image Image
Richard Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Viper » 16 Aug 2019, 08:11

Hello could you adjust the Invitation link as its expired,you can set it up to be unlimited
Viper

Postby Flyco » 16 Aug 2019, 10:11

We have looked at Discord in the past. I personally found it lived up to its name - there was indeed discord. I also understand it is not so secure as Teamspeak.

I really can’t recall Teamspeak going down before, and I find it simple to use - and reliable despite the recent outage.

My vote would be to stay as we are, but there is nothing to stop anyone setting up a Discord facility as a back-up. It would be interesting to see how reliable it is in practice.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby pikemanmark » 16 Aug 2019, 10:56

Hi All

I think the last outage is unique and that the server has generally been very secure and reliable. my thoughts are below:

1. TeamSpeak is secure and well known within the flights,
2. maybe have a backup plan for any teamspeak/discord issue, like using one of the in aircraft radios for all aircraft briefing?
3. I have discord but have never used it in anger so do not know it well
4. what are costs differences and how much impact is advertising on discord?

I am happy to stay with what we have if it is cost effective? I do subscribe to squadron a small amount a month and could raise this a little more?

kind regards

Mark
Pilot Officer Mark Howard - RAFAir UK
Image Image
pikemanmark

Postby Flyco » 16 Aug 2019, 13:18

Just to clarify a few facts - as I understand them.

There is a lot of chat about the repeated outage of TeamSpeak, due to the 'server going down'. I will emphasis that our main server, on which we run DCS and SRS, is one located alongside a commercial set up, on which we piggy-back for free. This was arranged by one of our members, because it is cheap (free); runs 24 hrs a day, 365 days a week; and uses freely donated dedicated PC. TeamSpeak runs 24 hrs a day, on a server located within the business of another one of our members, the use of this PC is free, but we do pay a small rental charge to TeamSpeak. The non-availability of TeamSpeak was because the owner of the PC was away for a couple of days, during which an auto update of Windows appears to have disrupted Teamspeak. This is the only time that I recall losing TeamSpeak since we introduced this system

Certainly, there is nothing to stop any member setting up their PC to provide theses services. Indeed we often used to do this, but it was always temporary, and resulted in repeated absences of any service. So unless someone is prepared to run them 24 hrs a day, and be around continuously to fix any glitches I would be reluctant to see our current set-up changed.

I do have a free PC with a dedicated server set-up, which I will use when the main system goes down, and I will try and set up SRS on that. However, I do not intend to pay for Teamspeak, not keep it running 24 hrs a day - particularly during the summer!

If anyone really wishes to change the set-up, please outline your suggestions and we can consider them.
Wing Commander Alan Johnson - RAFAir UK
Image Image Image Image
Flyco
Site Admin

Postby Griffin » 17 Aug 2019, 07:48

Flyco wrote:We have looked at Discord in the past. I personally found it lived up to its name - there was indeed discord. I also understand it is not so secure as Teamspeak.

I really can’t recall Teamspeak going down before, and I find it simple to use - and reliable despite the recent outage.

My vote would be to stay as we are, but there is nothing to stop anyone setting up a Discord facility as a back-up. It would be interesting to see how reliable it is in practice.

i with alan on this discord is so damed confussing.
Pilot Officer Richard "Mutley" Keast RAF AIR UK
Image Image

Mutley Do Something!Image
Griffin

Next

Return to General Pilot Chat